Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Summer Hits

Blackhawks shirt from Strange Cargo in Chicago.

This is one of the best times of the year in the sporting world.  The NBA and NHL finals take place, favorite championships such as Wimbledon and golf's U.S. Open are approaching, and baseball is starting to heat up.  While I'm not quite the statistician I used to be in my younger years, I still revel in this kind of competition.  Just this week a few stories from the wide world of sport have managed to push their way just below the BP headlines, into the footers of major publications.

Here are a few quips to catch yourself up on for the next time you find yourself amidst an old men's club:
  • The Big 12, home conference to my alma mater, is in a realignment limbo.
  • But he's just a kid!  Stephen Strasburg struck out a whopping 14 batters in his record breaking major league debut for the Washington Nationals.
  • The Hawwwwwwks win it!  After 48 years, the Chicago Blackhawks have themselves another Stanley Cup championship to their franchise.  If only their game winning overtime goal wasn't so anti-climatic.
  • Never having a hometown NBA team, I've always felt a tad lost in my attempts to follow the league.  The only natural thing for me to do was to take on my Dad's favorite team, the Boston Celtics.  I suppose then I'm upset that they're down 2-1 in the championship series to the L.A. Lakers.
  • I can get down with almost any event that lasts for two weeks (i.e. Wimbledon, the Olympics).  The 2010 FIFA World Cup should be no different once I figure out what country has the best looking roster this year.  Opening ceremonies commence tomorrow.
Post Script:  I wanted to comment on how great this year's Stanley Cup finals matchup was for the NHL.  It had all the makings for a renewed energy in the game:  two major market teams, a seventh seeder [the Philadelphia Flyers], and die hard fans with storied traditions.  I very much hope this spirit will carry through to the 2010/2011 season and catch up with the rest of the NHL.

1 comment:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...