Monday, March 15, 2010

Weekend Review-3.14.10


Everybody's Irish on St. Patrick's Day, don't you know? As much as the Italian and German in me hates to admit it, the Northern Isle people had the right idea. Create a holiday celebrating your heritage (the story of St. Patrick) that incorporates your culture (pubs and ale). One has to admit, they had some public relations prodigies running rampant in their lineage. It is a great thanks to them that almost every major city in the United States has some sort of celebration in honor of the Irish hero. Quite possibly the most notorious is Chicago's. Being that it is one of my most beloved places on Earth, it had to be done that I attempt to endure the festivus, and it me. I'd venture to say that we got along quite nicely.

  • It's no secret that my driving skills are subpar. Traveling 267 miles at night in a rain that never ceased posed quite a challenge.
  • Challenges are just tiny short hurdles you'll find though. It's problems you have to worry about. Such as when your contact falls out in the afore mentioned conditions. Well, it wasn't the first time the I-55 northbound shoulder has seen my car.
  • My parking spot on Kenmore was just the first of many "clutch" moments of the weekend.
  • Nothing's better than sitting down with a familiar favorite after a long drive. How I've missed the Duck Walk's crab rangoon.
  • It was an early rise, but absolutely worth it to make the Tap O' the Day special at McGee's.
  • "Clutch."--Emilie Morris
  • Another nickname (I believe the count's at 123 at this point) was originated for one Margaret Rose Boyle: Reggie.
  • Those who attended higher education institutions in Chicago don't quite grasp the concept of a marathon. While Julie and I are seasoned veterans, we had to succumb to the pressures of the dreaded mid-day nap.
  • Even nap time had to have an intermission. I'm proud to say my taste palate has broadened to delight in Lebanese food. I now love me a good falafel such as the #17 from Sultan's Market.
  • Only Mizzou alums like Julie and I could overcome such lethargic conditions. With the help of some small canisters, we found our way to the El and carried on the holiday festivities at The Kerryman.
  • So many characters so little time. A big "thank you" to the lovely green-haired James for extending such kindnesses as not removing us from the bar for loitering.
  • Since we didn't see the Chicago River getting dyed green we had to make our nerdy tourist behavior up elsewhere. Enter the Rock 'n' Roll McDonald's.
  • What do a third shift cab driver and Emilie Morris have in common? More than you would think. Just test either in their expertise of Harriet Tubman and the Underground Railroad. I dare you.
  • Where there's a will there's a way. While one little soldier went down, Julie and I managed to make it through a scrumptious Sunday brunch at Ann Sather on Belmont.
  • My heart always aches just a little when I can no longer see that gorgeous Chicago skyline in my rearview mirror, but alas I had to go back to reality. Here's hoping that someday I can make Chicago my reality.
"May your blessings outnumber the shamrocks that grow, and may trouble avoid you wherever you go."--Irish Saying

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...