Tuesday, March 2, 2010

In Search of the Starter Heel, Part II

Taking the plunge. Going the whole nine yards. Biting the bullet. All statements of going with a bold move. It's usually at the seven yard line that I press my index finger to my lip, squint my eyes, scrunch my nose and go back to the beginning. With clothing and accessories, my mantra has always been to go as bold as you feel. Seeing how shoes fall into that genre, it only seemed fit to apply those same rules. Henry David Thoreau once said "Go confidently in the direction of your dreams." I dreamt of stilettos.


Cannot wait to pair these with my black silk and brass studded Esley dress also found at Sole and Blues. See: In Search of the Starter Heel, Part I

On Friday after I confidently swept through racks of finds too good to be true at Avalon Exchange, I left knowing exactly what I needed to do. After a deep breath, I walked across the street to Sole and Blues. If they had it in my size...well, I would at least ask for assistance in trying them on. As it happened, they had one of my sizes (I waiver between a 9 and 10...eek, I know), and it was the assistance that captured the sale. While I looked at the 5" heel seeing a face plant into pavement, the sales attendant pointed out that it had a 1" platform. Translation: The platform gives your foot more balance with the heel. Still needing his hand holding through the suit up, I walked a couple laps around, lifted the cuff of my jeans, and then he uttered what every girl needs to hear in such circumstances: "it's perfect." Shoes back in box. Slide the card. A match has been made.

Post Script: The best way to go out confidently is to listen to the right tunes before doing so. At present I cannot seem to stop repeating OneRepublic's new single All the Right Moves.

*A great post from Garance Dore mentioning one model's confidence and love of heels: Helena.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...