Wednesday, December 23, 2009

No Failures Here


It's my personal Christmas tradition to curl up on my couch and enjoy my all-time favorite cinematic masterpiece, "It's a Wonderful Life." Every year I go through the first two hours in thorough enjoyment, watching George Bailey's life unfold thinking I'm going to make it through okay. Then the final eight minutes play, and every hug and smile from the residents of Bedford Falls brings on a tear. [I've come to find my eyes must be prepared for this event from the opening credits, as the tears come and stream down quite quickly.] While my all-time fave, I save this movie just for the Christmas season as it is more special that way. However, it serves as great reminder that we unfortunately all too often and quickly forget. Luckily though, Clarence the Angel leaves us a simple, yet profound line at the end of the movie to sum up this theme. It's to "Remember that no man is a failure who has friends." Watching all of George Bailey's friends crowd in his living room singing "Auld Lang Syne" after giving what they could to aid in his misfortune reminds us all how lucky we are. If we all have just one friend who's there to help, even when we don't ask...well, that's how we really get our wings.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...