Thursday, December 10, 2009

Music That's Really, Really Right


This past Friday night I made a rare decision. Usually I leave work on Friday skipping to my car, go to the gym to energize, and then quickly primp for the night out. On this particular Friday though, I walked through my door and made a mad dash for my couch. It soon became apparent that I was lacking the gusto for a "Friday night." So I told myself if an offer was extended my way for a social evening affair I would go. Once I started flipping through the channels and saw that "The Shop Around the Corner" was playing on TCM I knew it was going to be difficult to answer the phone. When I discovered "Jamie Cullum: Live at Blehheim Palace" would be on PBS, all bets were off. It was a night in with me and the classics.

Truly great music is usually characterized by its ability to transcend generations. In every album of his, Jamie Cullum does just that, with his most recent, The Pursuit, possibly being the best example. Fun standards such as Just One of Those Things get a rhythmic and modern beat added to it for younger generations to enjoy. While a masqueraded pop hit, Don't Stop the Music has a more subdued and seductive sound than it's original recording, allowing it to be more audibly pleasing for older generations. Of course he has his unique own sound as well with tracks like, I Think, I Love, bridging any gaps potentially left behind. Just beware of it enjoying his music too much. You may just find yourself contemplating a PBS membership for a chance to get tickets to his upcoming show as well.

Essential Jamie Cullum:

1. Get Your Way (Catching Tales)
2. Mind Trick (Catching Tales)
3. Our Day Will Come (Catching Tales)
4. My Yard (Catching Tales)
5. Just One of Those Things (The Pursuit)
6. Don't Stop the Music (The Pursuit)
7. I Think, I Love (The Pursuit)
8. These Are the Days (Twentysomething)
9. All at Sea (Twentysomething)
10. Singin' in the Rain (Twentysomething)
11. I Could Have Danced All Night (Twentysomething)
12. Frontin' (Twentysomething)


*Jamie Cullum performs live at the Roberts Orpheum Theater in Downtown St. Louis, Sunday March 14th

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...