Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Get It While It's Hot!


With the recent cold front moving through the area, I've become reacquainted with an old friend. Coffee and I had to part ways some time last year due to the fact that I did not understand the meaning of "moderation." I often would brew a whole pot, telling myself my roommates would have a cup when they woke up or on their way to class. Most of these times though my roommates were already gone, or were hours from waking up. Yet, the pot would usually always be near to or completely gone. So when I finally noticed my hands were no longer able to lay out steady and that my temples were needing a good rub more than usual, I decided it was time to cut some ties. The coffee pot joined my other kitchen appliances, in the cabinet, out of sight and out of mind. Similar to the situation of the other appliances, it had been replaced by convenience. Diet Pepsi was just easier to grab out of the fridge and go. No brew time or simmer time necessary. Not to mention DP came in the limited quantity of a can. Once it was gone, it was gone.

With long work days and cool weather though, it seems it has come time to give a second chance. After all, as the Girl Scouts say "Make new friends, but keep the old ones. One is silver and the other is gold." Well in the past couple of weeks I have definitely rediscovered the value, variations, and joy of coffee.

Here's the top five reasons why a steaming cup of coffee can be so cool:

1. Starbucks: Coffee, latte, cappuccino; tall, grande, venti; vanilla, hazelnut, mocha and usually 24 hours
2. McDonald's: Fast, condensed menu but still offers variety, you'll have some money left over to get a bite as well
3. Keeps you warm, keeps you calm, keeps you "here"
4. Frank Sinatra's "The Coffee Song"
5. Familiar smells, smooth sounds, and a bold taste

*Where caffeine is everyone's friend, visit Bourgeois Pig in the Lincoln Park area of Chicago

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...