Thursday, June 24, 2010

I'm Not Afraid Anymore!



It's fun to pretend sometimes.  You think you're capable of doing just about anything on Earth.  Pretending is one of my favorite pastimes.  Especially when it comes to being brave.  Tuesday night proved to be in desperation of this sort of make believe.  It was a scorcher out-my absolute least favorite part of a Missouri summer.  The heat and its best friend, humidity, have never really included me in part of their clique.  The feeling is mutual.  Never one to let this sort of intimidation stop me from doing my "thang", I pretended I was brave enough to make it through a grueling session of spinning.  The headache that was caused from an hour of screaming profanities in my mind is going to be a tough one to top.

What's better to kick your shoes off to after a workout like that than a good movie?  Especially if it consists of a Leonardo DiCaprio and Martin Scorsese team-up.  It looked a bit suspenseful with a tinge of eerie, but I figured if I pretended to be brave I could make it through watching Shutter Island by myself.  Unfortunately the viewing experience was a bit ruined by the constant thought of "at what point should I hit the eject button?"  I decided pre-climax would be best.  The utter ridiculousness of the ejection was only matched by the adventure of my quest to return the DVD.  Who knew Redbox reached full inventories?  Or that cyclists would be surrounded and handcuffed by police in a fast food parking lot?  Two different stop offs, two similar large groans.

Easing my workout down, and re-renting Shutter Island to watch it with some friends and red wine, made Wednesday evening a lot easier.  It seems that the older you get, the harder pretending becomes.  It's best just to go with what you know.  After all, what else are you going to do with all that living?

Image from CitrusTree

1 comment:

  1. Hahahahaha...love it...and you'll have to rent it again, altho I'm not sure you'll be able to recapture the 'eerie' feeling seeing some parts again...but give it a try :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...